Ready, set, go!

I currently manage the front end of a small, but incredibly well-known and busy Real Estate Company. When we made the decision to sell it was assumed that I would turn to my Boss and ask her to handle our sale, but after a lot of deliberation, and the grim realization that I would have to give my 45 days notice in order to assist my husband in the work needed to sell and move, it came down to one reason why we didn't - 'conflict of interest'. (I would like to add here, after speaking to my Boss about my Blog, that this decision in NO WAY reflects HER ability to handle the sale or my confidence in her ability, she is one of the BEST around, a bulldog for clients. My decision was solely based on the fact that I work for her and was leaving, and our connection with the Realtor we did choose!)

My Boss is very family orientated which is the reason I joined the Company in the first place. She is also, and above all, a business owner. Losing a Full-Time, valuable employee during a pandemic, when no one wants to work because they get paid more from the State to not work, hit her right where it hurts, and it's been hard. For everyone.

Despite the length of my notice and the understanding that I will continue to help out during the week when I can, it's become very clear that finding that someone right now isn't going to be easy, and no matter what assistance I offer, will result in an uncomfortable period where the new person will eventually have to start figuring things out on their own. Sink or swim. Trial by (very hot) fire. I hate disappointing people, so this has put an added layer of stress on the entire situation. 

My Boss has been gracious and understanding despite it all and has made it very clear I will be missed, which makes it even more difficult. I almost prefer her to be mad at me, treat me badly, so the guilt wouldn't be such a heavy mantle to wear. 

We have decided to go with a friend of the family as our Realtor choice. Our children grew up together, he's well known in the community and we have many mutual friends. He also lives across the street, so if anyone knows and can sell the neighborhood, it's him. We put in the call and he came over last night to get an idea of what he was working with. We showed him a long list of things we felt we should take care of before selling - he narrowed the list down to the most important things and walked us through what the process would be like and what he would list the house at once we'd completed the list. 

Our jaws dropped.

This is where I should mention that we live on Cape Cod. The housing market here is on fire. People from the city can't seem to want to leave it quick enough. Our small island has become a hot spot for those seeking an escape from the confines of the Pandemic and any house listed for sale is overbid on, and sold in weeks, sometimes days. It's honestly like the Hunger Games of Real Estate right now. I can't imagine being a first-time homebuyer in this Market. Terrifying.

The price we can get for our humble home is something we won't get again in our lifetime. If it sells we will be able to use the money to buy our sweet little cabin in the mountains, with some acres of land, something we've always wanted to do. While the prospect of selling and buying during a Pandemic seems absolutely daunting, we understand that in order to make the second half of our lives comfortable and our next adventure viable, while providing a legacy and safe space for our family to gather and meet in the future, we have to do it now.

We have about two weeks to complete our task list before the photographer comes in to take his staging photos for the listing. This means both of us working full-time and then coming home to tend to the list and all our other chores. This is where 'Operation Warp Speed' became our battle cry. We are tackling the past, present, and the future all at the same time, and tumbling into bed at night exhausted, anxious, and excited. We've snuck cursory glimpses at the options we'll have for purchase and we're fueled by the hope that out there, somewhere, is our next home, just waiting for us to fill it with memories, like this one. 

For now, we have a bathroom to fix, a yard to clean up, some walls to paint, and a lot of dumpster deposits to make. We also need to find a storage unit, stock up on packing boxes and clean out a basement filled with 25 years of detritus. Did I mention, we also have a Graduation party to plan for our youngest, and a houseful of guests to accommodate for the last time, in June? 

If you haven't already figured out it, we've got our hands full over the next few months. I feel like the only good thing about being so busy is that it doesn't give one much time to dwell on things. I know the day I turn over the keys for the last time, there will be tears -- for now, though, there will only be sweat equity, sore muscles, and checklists. 

Onwards and upwards.....

CURRENT MOOD: Overwhelmed

LISTENING TO: Human Nature, Michael Jackson

QUOTE OF THE DAY: Life has many ways of testing a person's will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen at once. - Unknown







Comments

Popular Posts